Today we find these amazing tips by Tyra Banks, we hope you enjoy them as much as we do – (ALL CREDIT TO TYRA BANKS)
Model Don’ts (and a Do)
- Do not be a “no-neck monster.” Try to elongate your neck for maximum extension.
- Do not pose like a hoochie. (If you don’t know what a hoochie is, er…that’s probably best.)
- Do not be a limp noodle. Always pose with tension in your body completely from H2T (head to toe).
- Do not play it safe and stay in the same pose. Mix it up with innovative poses. Your wildest pose could be the one that’s picked.
- Do not show up to a photo shoot unless you are clean shaven, have a clean face, and clean hair.
- Do not let hating how your hair or makeup is done affect your performance. Model through it.
- Do not stare aimlessly when posing. Create intensity for the camera through your eyes. Smize (smile with your eyes)!
- Do not slouch on the runway; pretend you have a wire through your spine that is pulling you up to the ceiling.
- Do not be forgettable. Make an impression by showing your distinctive personality.
- Do request to have your favorite music playing when you do a shoot! The beat will kick your poses up 10 notches!
Modeling: Breaking Into the Biz
- Pick a favorite model and study them. Everything from the way they turn their head to their fierce runway walk.
- Snapshots. You MUST have a beauty shot, from the neck up, before going anywhere. Have a friend with a nice camera take one in black and white!
- Study, Study, Study. As Tyra always says on America’s Next Top Model, you need to know everything from fashion designers, photographers, supermodels, and all in between.
From No-Sees to Go-Sees!
Go-sees are one of the crucial things that a beginner model must know about. Tyra went on 10 go-sees a day in Paris! Here are some tips on how to make a lasting impression (at a go-see or an interview)
- Be prepared! Practice your walk, poses, and faces in the mirror before you go.
- Do your homework! Know something about the agency or client and be aware of scams. Not everything out there is legit!
- Your make-up should be minimal to show off your natural beauty.
- ALWAYS bring a pair of heels in case they ask you to walk.
- No nail polish: Simple clear, nude, or sheer!
- Pull your hair back so that they can see your face and bone structure.
- Never be late!
- Have good posture: Stand up straight, shoulders back.
- Be honest! It’s okay to tell them if you don’t have a lot of experience. Wow them with your natural ability (this is why practice is so important!)
How To Work Your Flaws
- Everyone has flaws. I’ve got ’em (small calves and a big forehead), you’ve got ’em, and your momma’s got em’, too! Even though I totally believe in embracing my flaws, I don’t always want to highlight them when I’m being photographed. Every top model knows the secrets to working her flaws. These are my tips on how to make your flaws work for you when you’re in front of that camera!
- Hands on Hips = Smaller Waist. Putting your hands on your hips creates a background through your arms, which will make your waist appear smaller. (This is something you can apply to real life too! Try it the next time you walk into a room!)
- Chin Up = Smaller Forehead. I am always telling the girls on ANTM to chin up! Not only will it make a large forehead look smaller, it will also elongate the neck.
- Tippy Toes = Bigger Calves. Standing on your tippy toes instead of flat feet will make your calf muscles appear bigger because they are working harder to keep you up!
- Knees In = Slimmer Hips. Turning a knee in will make your hips appear slimmer. This will also give you a space between your thighs, which is something that most women don’t have.
- Lean Forward = Smaller Bust. Hunch your back and bring your naval into your spine. This creates a slight lean forward, which will make your bust look smaller.
- Emphasize Shoulder = Narrow Hips. Turn your body to the side and turn your shoulders toward the camera. The emphasis on your shoulders will narrow your hips.
Thank you Tyra Banks for this amazing tips!